Nothing Behind Me, Everything Ahead of Me

Across oceans and mountains I flew, towards my future, towards the culmination of events in my life. I was heading to Japan, where I would be living for a year, studying at Tsukuba University and learning many things about Japanese language and culture, and fantastic opportunities ripe for seizing. To preface my arrival in Japan, I must discuss the flight. It was a good flight, due solely to the fact that my legs and feet were not crushed. The legroom was adequate in comparison to every flight since I first began to grow taller than average. The flight provided me with good practice for the customs associated with eating Japanese cuisine. Upon arrival I was met with two things. The first being the view. Many people ask you what did you feel when you first gazed at the skyline of a land you have never been on. Were you awe struck? Dumbfounded? No. At that time, I was met with a view of an industrial area, nothing particularly special. The second thing however was the blistering heat. I had arrived in British Autumnal wear, including a scarf. As soon as I stepped out of the air conditioned airport, I was hit by it and had to immediately remove my coats and scarf. I quickly got used to this weather as I am used to it from childhood days of living in the same room as the hot water tank at home. The coach journey to Tsukuba was fraught with annoyances. First and most significant was the lack of legroom, nothing more to say about that. I then came face to face with the great crowds of people heading to the university and as such was even more squashed into the coach, all the while having to ensure the safety of my laptop from rogue limbs. The landscape was hauntingly beautiful, with rural farming, traditional houses and the sparsely seen, yet magnificent statues of Buddha. This was unfortunately ruined to an extent by the wandering elbows of my neighbour, homing in on my soft fleshy side. Evidently he was a tourist, oblivious to his near deadly barbs in my side as he thrust his camera across my personal space. Once that was over I was finally in Tsukuba, excited by the interesting shops and restaurants on offer. However, I was immediately put into another coach and taken to the university. A sprawling series of compounds, partitioned by marvelous greenery, the university was greater than my anticipation. I was led to a single room and given a series of forms to fill out. Each student was partnered by a tutor, another student who was Japanese, or at least fluent in the language and had experience of living in Tsukuba. Whether an administration error or careless disregard for my well-being, I was not expressly told to have my tutor with me. Looking back now, I assume there was a lack of communication between the accommodation department and the international student department. I had previously spoken with him and would meet him the next day. Once the forms were filled out, I was all alone. I had to flag one of the eponymous administrators who very kindly led me to my room, even helping with my luggage. I had a choice of rooms initially with my preferred being the largest room, so I would enjoy reasonable comfort during my stay. I was annoyingly kept in the dark in regards to whether I was successful in getting my first choice. Upon entry, I was relieved to have gotten the right room and the spaciousness is something I certainly do not take for granted. I had to return to the room of the many forms to inquire as to the location of my bedding supplies. Once I got those, once again assisted by a kind administrator, I was all set, save for the lack of supplies. I had brought the bare essential with me in terms of hygiene, but was still missing adequate food supplies. As such, I went to sleep on an empty stomach. This actually helped me shake off the vestiges of jet lag, which in and of itself was not too bad as I was flying with the time difference. My trepidation lies with the return flight in August, where I will have to carefully time my sleeping and still be tired enough to sleep on the evening of my return. Next was my first excursion into Tsukuba proper, and the subsequent hunt for the crucial food supply to sustain my time here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sekigahara and the Drums of War